Sunday, July 7, 2013

Nut up or shut up!

I happened to read an article, and his way of writing appealed to me. I met someone today, that I am probably never going to meet again. And as in the case with espirit d'escalier (staircase wit) (#9), I thought of things that I could have done, some 5 hours later. Things which would have helped leave a better first impression.

If I'm going to come across such informal situations, where I'm probably meeting someone for the first and last time, I should have a mental checklist, of sorts.

Make eye contact; not too stare-y, not to brief, and definitely not stare-into-your-soul.

Swift firm handshake;  I don't generally remember my handshakes, not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Talk to that person; slightly more than the other people you're probably going to hang out with afterwards. You'll have hours to talk to them, you have minutes with this one. Make them count.

Crack a joke; But don't try too hard. Think about what you're going to say before you say it.

But don't think too much; More the time spent thinking about exactly right thing to say, higher the probability I'd end up saying nothing at all.

Notice-Predict-Adapt; Notice the things around you. Predict the changes the conversation or other factors might bring. Adapt to said changes.

One compliment; Simple, but precise. Not vague and neither too pointedly detailed.

 The close; Find a good closing statement. Use it well.

No comments: